Sunday, January 23, 2011

Jan. 23 Club Results

There were four of us at club today.

Before we go to the results, this disclaimer: I couldn't read my own writing for Janney's and Betty's game, but it looked as if Janney won, 339-336. If this score is incorrect, please let me know and I'll make the necessary changes.

Results:

Will: 3-1, +220
Janney: 2-1, -90
Victoria: 2-2, +87
Betty: 0-3, -217

Bingoes
Will: SANTERO 71, COOLEES* 78, rEASONE(D) 60, TE(N)SIBLE 74, ATONABL(E) 68
Victoria: aVOIDE(R)S 78, SALTinE 65, FLEDGEs 70
Janney: OVErUSE 84

Notes: Janney had a great day. She was pretty happy when she beat me in the opener (my shameful phoney of COOLEES fell short), and she had the high play of the day -- OVErUSE for 84 points -- in her second game, a narrow win against Betty.

Betty had a rough day, but she got all of her bad luck out of the way, clearing the way for a strong showing at Knoxville next weekend. Our club will have quite a contingent there: Steve, Andy, me (Will), Andrea and Betty. With Kelly McKenzie, our quasi-club member from Northern Kentucky, six players will represent Kentucky.

Against Betty, I was holding BEEILST. There was an N on the board, and after some shuffling, I came up with a possibility: TENSIBLE. It seemed plausible enough as a word, but would it be -ABLE or -IBLE? What the heck -- down it went. Betty challenged, and I was ready to pick up my tiles when the ruling came back: acceptable. I don't know who was more surprised.

In that same game, I got to play the fun fives INCOG and THRUM. I think that was the first time I'd played either of those words. (the anagram of INCOG is COIGN.)

Will

No comments: