Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Update: Corrected club results, July 13

Six of us at club today, including Lisa from southeast Ohio. She did really well, going 3-1, with her only loss by one point. And she had one of the best bingoes: VITRICS.
One of us had a really good day. A really, really good day. More on that after the results, if you wish to read it.

Lisa       3-1, +170
Will       2-1, +606
Janney   2-1, +84
Jan         2-2, +21
Steve     1-1, -371
Cheryl   0-4, -510


Will            493  STRIFING* 68, OUTLAIN 64, SEIZING 132
Cheryl        258

Jan             323
Lisa           322

Janney       362    FUNDERS 73
Jan             345

Lisa           357   DEMOTED 80
Cheryl       307

Will           640 DIASPORA 74, TYPEBAR 111, CASEOSE 96, FEVERING 89
Steve         265 MARGENT 69

Lisa         369  VITRICS 79
Janney     318

Steve         442 GRATERS 81
Will           438 PUNITIVE 83, CAPOEIRA 60, SCRAPES 94, UNLOGGED* 61

Lisa          370  TELLING 70
Jan           300

Janney       386  CURSING 87
Cheryl       273

I had a dream day -- a day I wanted to put in a bottle and uncork it at nationals. In three games, I averaged 513 points and had 11 bingoes. Crazy! In my first game, I drew the bag on Cheryl and scored nearly 500 points, admittedly with the help of a phony. In game 2, against Steve -- our director and a rising star who figures to crack the 1800 rating benchmark in his next tourney or two -- I could do no wrong, scoring 640, by far my highest-scoring game ever. I averaged 43 points in my first four plays, then played three straight bingoes, made a rack-cleaning 6-point play, then had another bingo. All of the bingoes were in potent spots, averaging 92 points. In addition to the bingoes, I had four plays of 40 or more. Besides being a very good player, Steve is gracious; he just had one of those games, and he was good enough to congratulate me.
We rematched, and after Steve opened, I missed the obvious bingo and instead tried UNINVITE* which he quickly challenged off. I was lucky he played somewhere else so I could get down PUNITIVE, but that knucklehead first turn would come back to haunt me. Again I had four bingoes, including the phony UNLOGGED*, and Steve had just one bingo, but he made enough high-scoring short plays to stay ahead of me for a four-point win.
If I have three games at nationals like the three I had Sunday, I'll call the tournament a success.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my first day in Lexington, witnessing Will's superb victory. My memory of my scores is that I lost my first game by 1 point and won the remaining three. I cannot find my paper for the second game I played against Jan but my Bingo was TELLING. I am pretty sure I won though I have no evidence nor do I remember the score. Perhaps Jan will remember.

The time I played VITRICS (79 points) I have the final score as 369-318. My opponent was Janney.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed my first day in Lexington, witnessing Will's superb victory. My memory of my scores is that I lost my first game by 1 point and won the remaining three. I cannot find my paper for the second game I played against Jan but my Bingo was TELLING. I am pretty sure I won though I have no evidence nor do I remember the score. Perhaps Jan will remember.

The time I played VITRICS (79 points) I have the final score as 369-318. My opponent was Janney.

Lisa

Will Scott said...

Lisa, I'll recheck my sheet and make corrections. I might have transposed yours and Jan's scores.

Steve said...

Congratulations again, Will, and thanks for bringing me back down to earth after my Indy performance. :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa beat me the last game by 70 points with Bingo of telling. I went 2-2.

Will, Congrats on your super high game.

Jan

Matthew Ridout said...

Fun session - a new player AND a 600+ score! Sorry to have missed it, but I was busy getting pantsed at the Omaha tournament haha

Cheryl said...

Yeah it's so much fun pitting my 398 rating against two nationally rated players. *sigh*