Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Taking a Break

Hi everyone,

I have a few announcements:

1) As of the end of this year, I will be informing NASPA that I will no longer be the director of record for Bluegrass Scrabble.  I'm hoping that this will allow enough time for someone to step up and take the reins who already is, or would like to be, a registered NASPA director.  I will gladly help with this transition in whatever capacity needed.  Of course, even if no one is interested in taking over in an official capacity, it's not a huge deal, since we can of course continue with our weekly sessions.  We just won't be able to be listed as an official club on NASPA's website.

2) Although I plan to maintain my director certification, I will no longer be organizing rated tourneys, including the one I would have planned for this November.  Again, however, if someone else wants to do this, I'm willing to spend whatever time is necessary to get him/her up to speed, including acting as "Assistant Director" and providing technical assistance where needed.

I have several reasons for this, but they can effectively be summed up as: I'm burned out, and I just no longer have the initiative and motivation to put in the required energy that this role requires, in a way that will grow the game in our community.  I also feel that staying in this position could be an impediment to others who might be able to bring new energy/vision/enthusiasm, and I don't want to stand in the way of that.

All that said, I DO plan to continue to be active as a tourney player, and attend club and travel to tourneys as my schedule allows...basically to be an ambassador for the game, but more on a player/personal level, than director/organizational level.

Finally, I want to say that serving as Club Director, and running the 10 so tourneys that I have over the past 7-8 years, have been a great honor, and a lot of fun.  Most of all, I really appreciate what a great group of people (not just Scrabble players) that we have here, so I know we have a bright future, regardless of who is at the helm.

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve for all you have done!
Betty