Thursday, March 19, 2009

Elyria tournament 3/14-3/15

I had a fun time in Elyria this past weekend. I didn't play as well as I should have, but the tourney itself and the outside activities (scrabble, taxes hold me, 10 tile scrabble) were all quite fun. A real nice group of people to hang out with up there. I roomed with Jeff Clark and Steve Grob and there was never a dull moment. I ended up 7-6 and gained 9 rating. I once again had a dissapointing day two, going 2-4. Partially bad tiles, but I have to take the blame for a few stupid challenges (INLY, HOSTELER) and a non-challenge INLINER. It seems to be a pattern with me that I have a dissapointing day two.
Lexington day one: 8-2
Lexington day two (including late bird): 3-6
Warren day one: 5-4
Warren day two: 2-4
Elyria day one: 5-2
Elyria day two: 2-4
I'm not quite sure what it is but I guess I need to build up some resilience for these two day tourneys.
Not likely to write up a game by game recall, but I will upload a bingo list here shortly.

EDIT:
Bingo List: INTONES, MOULDERS(challenged), ROMANISE, RONTGEN(challenged), AROYNTS, STERNAL, MISALTER(challenged), ROUTINES, PEDDLING, TONGERS, NETTLERS, DIAGNOSE, ELOINERS, DISTILL, ZOYSIAS, VENTURED, DOURAHS(challenged), NATIONAL, GUNNERS, GLUINESS

Favorite play: Opening with ZOYSIaS for 106 versus Linda Hoggat

1 comment:

John M. Spangler said...

Hey, Tyler. Where ya been? It must have been spring break for you, but it seemed very strange not seeing you on ISC at all!

I have noticed the same great first-day/first-half, then poorer second-day/second-half performance phenomenon in my own playing. At Plainfield, for instance, I was 3-0 for the morning and then went 0.5-2.5 in the afternoon. If I hadn't managed the tie, I would have ended up out of the money in 4th place instead of in 2nd. I even jokingly (I hoped) told a couple of people who congratulated me on my morning that the afternoon would be different from past experience.

Nice first play against Linda H. It reminded me of my first play in my first game at an Albuquerque club during the week after my tourney there in September last year. I put down Q(U)ALIFY for 112 points -- caused quite a stir! LOL