Sunday, October 5, 2014

Columbus 7-game Tourney Yesterday

I played the 7-game tournament in Columbus yesterday...one of those rare times where I'm the top seed in the top division. I had high hopes of cracking the 1800 rating barrier and perhaps the top 100 in North America. Both will have to wait, thanks to my mediocre 4-3 finish. 

I'd love to be able to say it's because my draws were in the tank, but overall that wasn't really the case (e.g., I had exactly half of the S's and 6 of the blanks over all). I'm still in the process of doing post-mortems on my games, but it's pretty obvious that my struggles with defense and board vision more than make up for whatever advantages I have in word knowledge and anagramming ability. It's a process. :) 

I had a lot of fun, regardless. And, I'm hoping we'll get a good turnout from the Ohio crowd at our upcoming November tourney!

1 comment:

Matthew Ridout said...

Congratulations on a winning record against a tough Div. 1 field!