Sunday, February 8, 2015

Announcement - New Word List

It's official, the updated wordlist (Official Tournament and Club Word List - OTCWL2014) goes into effect on April 10, 2015.  This means that in any TWL NASPA tournament you play on or after that date, words like GI, PO, and ANGSTIER, currently invalid, will thereafter become acceptable plays.

In order to prepare our club for this update, I'd like for us to begin using the new list starting with next Sunday's meeting, Feb. 15 (no one objected when I proposed this timeline previously).  Since availability of electronic versions of the new list is currently limited, I'll order a hardcopy of the new list that we can pass around at club meetings (I'll probably hand it off to someone who makes it to club more often than I do :).  The official NASPA hardcopy word list can be purchased here:  http://www.scrabbleplayers.org/cgi-bin/shop.pl

An authorized electronic list is available to NASPA members by downloading Zyzzyva 3.0.3.  Detailed instructions for doing so can be found here:

http://www.scrabbleplayers.org/w/NASPA_Zyzzyva_Windows_Installation

I've been playing around with a beta version of the software for the past week, so I'd be glad to help anyone that's having trouble.  Currently only a Windows version is available, but iOS and Linux versions should be available within a few weeks.  Hopefully smartphone/tablet app updates will start showing up in the next few months.

I'll be at club today as well, likely playing my last games under the TWL2 wordlist, and available to answer any questions folks may have about the above changes.

No comments: